This year I have clients due close to Christmas day. My own mother’s birthday is December 21st and recently, she switched when she celebrated it to June 21st — she switched from the winter solstice to the summer solstice. She had her first outdoor birthday ever! It was great.
My mother has definite ideas about how to celebrate a birthday that is near Christmas. She gave us a set of guidelines which I will pass on to you:
- Always use birthday wrapping paper and birthday-type cards, nothing Christmassy.
- Give separate and distinct gifts, not a scarf for the birthday and matching hat for Christmas.
- It is OK to celebrate the birthday earlier and further away from Christmas (like the weekend before).
- Don’t play Christmas music or have a Christmas theme at the birthday party.
- Try not to name your child something extremely Christmassy, a little goes a long way.
- Remember, it seems like everyone is celebrating the birth of another baby, make the birth of your baby special to your family (the other baby won’t mind).
Every child is a blessing and a miracle. Enjoy yours.
Tags: Christmas birth