How do you know she is right for you and your birth? In our book: Doulas’ Guide to Birthing Your Way, we go into detail about choosing your birth team. When choosing your doula, here are a few things to keep in mind:
Your doula should be:
– someone who comforts you.
– someone who realizes that it is your birth.
– someone who looks forward to attending your birth. It shouldn’t be a chore or burden.
– someone you can build a touch and trust relationship with.
– someone whose experience you value.
– someone who realizes that you must feel right about having her as your doula.
As doulas we all have had friends or fellow doulas who chose someone else to be their doula. Your doula should understand that picking her is a very personal choice — and the choice is yours!
Tags: choosing a doula